Sweet Indian lemon pickle is a delicious condiment that is salty, sweet, tart and spicy. Perfect to have with any main dish. The best part of this recipe is that it involves no cooking. Just mix the ingredients and let them marinate for a few days and you have a sweet and tart lemon pickle ready to use at any time 🍋. This sweet lemon pickle recipe comes from my friend Devi who makes delicious lemon pickles 😋.
Sweet Lemon Pickle
recipe courtesy of Devi
- 5 cups of lemon cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- 2 tbsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of roasted cumin seeds powdered
- 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- Toast cumin seeds on the stove for a couple of minutes until the cumin aroma is released. Cool and then powder in a spice mill.
- Take a large glass bowl and put the cut lemon pieces. Add the remaining ingredients including all the spices, salt and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Keep the lemon mixture on the counter for 3-4 of days. Stir the lemon mixture couple times a day, this assures that all the lemon absorbs the spices and sugar mixture.
- After 3 days sweet lemon pickle is ready to be bottled and refrigerated.
poem by Pradip Chattopadhyay
My mouth waters, taste buds tickle
When I see a jar of lemon pickle.
On the sunny roof the lemon pickle
It starts a child’s saliva’s trickle.
It still gives his conscience a prick,
As he played on the old man a trick.
The glass jar stayed there all day
But the child just couldn’t stay away.
At midday when they all were asleep
Little feet climbed the stairs steep.
He made sure not an eye was watching
What joy did the sight of lemon pickle bring.
The child such small was his need
He only had to open the jar’s lid.
Pick up one for no one would miss
One juicy sweet sour lemon piece.
In his mischief he did go that far
Each sucked piece he put back in the jar.
So that they would never find a trace
Not one piece of lemon would be less.
The poor old man he never knew
The child’s blended saliva in the brew.
The child sucked pickle had his fill
What the old man relished with his meal.
I know this story isn’t worth a nickel
Still I find irresistible the lemon pickle. 😋🍋