French toast that I grew up with was a savory French toast the way Mom made it, which it turns out was not the traditional French toast at all. Mom made her French toast with white bread dipped in an egg mixture, pan-fried and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. This is the only way I knew French toast until I went to college when I started noticing French toast being served with maple syrup and sweet jams. I actually thought there was something wrong with that presentation. To this day I have a hard time eating sweet French toast.
If you are willing to give savory French toast a try – here is a simple recipe the way my Mom used to make it when I was growing up. Though my Mom rarely used cheese in her cooking (it was too expensive in India back in the 70s), in my version I did add some shredded cheddar cheese. Here is the recipe
Savory French Toast
makes enough for two servings
- 4 white sandwich breads
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- Grated cheddar cheese – as much as you want. I used about 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl lightly beat eggs and set aside. To the eggs add chives and cheese and mix together.
- Soak both sides of a slice of bread in the egg mixture.
- Heat a nonstick pan. Melt a little butter. Place the egg-soaked bread on the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook bread until egg is golden brown on both sides.
- Take off the heat and serve warm with hot sauce, salsa or ketchup.