Looking for an alluring avant-garde drink that is cool and refreshing? This rose geranium spritzer is the one. The syrup has the enticing flavor of rose essence similar to what you find in Middle Eastern desserts with an edgy herb flavor.
About the recipe
Mrs. Iyengar who is my dear friend Radhika’s Mom came over for tea one Sunday afternoon and Aunty who loves flowers and gardening noticed my rose geranium plant as she was leaving and casually gave me a quick recipe for rose geranium syrup.
Aunty explained that she used to make rose geranium syrup many times back in Tangiers where she lived for a big part of her life. Aunty taught math at an international high- school in Tangiers for over 30 years. She explained how in Tangiers local people make rose geranium drink with the syrup to have on hot sweltering North African afternoons. They also make a rose geranium water (without the sugar) and keep it in the refrigerator to use as a freshener and a light body mister.
I thought why not try and make it? I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how wonderful it turned out.
Try this rose geranium syrup in a spritzer for a refreshingly and unique artsy drink, perfect on a warm summer evening.
Here is a pretty cool recipe from a very cool Aunty! Give it a try!
Rose Geranium Simple Syrup
recipe courtesy of Mrs. Iyengar
- 30 rose scented geranium leaves washed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- In a pot bring water to a boil and add rose scented geranium leaves. Boil on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the rose scent is released.
- As the leaves are boiled in the water they will turn an ugly green color, but the fragrance will be lovely.
- After the fragrance is released, remove the geranium leaves and set aside.
- Add 1-cup sugar and dissolve in the scented water. Bring to a low boil until the sugar is condensed into syrup, about 10-15 minutes. Cool the syrup to room temperature and then store in a bottle to use later.
- My syrup lasted for more than 3 months in the refrigerator. Over time the color of the syrup will turn slightly darker into a more dark golden in color, but the flavor will stay the same.
The rose geranium syrup can be used to make a wonderful little glass of an alluring avant-garde spritzer. Here is the recipe.
Rose Geranium Spritzer:
- Put 2-4 tbsp rose geranium syrup in a small glass. Add 1/2 cup chilled sparkling mineral water and stir with some ice cubes.
- Garnish with fresh rose geranium leaves and serve.
- You can also make this spritzer with Sprite or have it just diluted with cold water.
- This is meant to be a small glass of an exotic drink. To serve more rose geranium spritzer, use a larger glass and double the recipe.
Cook’s Notes: For those who want to turn this into a cocktail, I’m sure a splash of Vodka will do the trick 😊.
5 thoughts on “Rose Geranium Syrup & Rose Geranium Spritzer”
A refreshing drink! Very nice.
For a sincere learner like you, anything that we know from simple to complex may be shared. It is worth doing that my dear adopted daughter. I love you.
Thank you for your encouragement Aunty 💕 Now you have to come back so you can teach me some more recipes 😀😊
Sounds interesting but where will i go for Rose Geranium seeds ? I did recall another Drink called Rooh Afza ( literally means something that nourishes one’s soul) which my mom used to buy in the Summer months for us . It is a refeshing Drink .. Cools the system and has nutritional benefits as well … Rose flavored with fruits, vegetables , roots and herbs . I stll buy it from the Local Indian Store and serve guests instead of Coke or Pepsi or Sprite…
Rose geranium plant can be found at any nursery. It is usually sold as a plant and not available in seed form as far as i know. Rooh Afza sounds very interesting I have never had it, the next time I go to the Indian grocery store I will see if I can find it.