This vegetarian risotto made with a combination of artichokes, leeks, and bell peppers transforms a simple risotto into a deliciously satisfying meal. Here’s the recipe.
About the recipe
There is something truly comforting about a warm bowl of rice. Creamy Arborio rice all cooked with herbs and vegetables, risotto can easily transport one into a Zen-food state of mind. That’s how I felt when I had this risotto on a chilly December evening.
I love using leeks in risotto, they get all nice and creamy and compliment the creamy Arborio rice so perfectly. Flavored with leeks and artichokes this risotto is the easiest to make.
Artichoke and Leek Risotto
makes 4 servings
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 leeks white and light green parts finely cut
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 box of frozen artichoke hearts – about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 bell pepper finely cut
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp finely cut fresh parsley
- 2 green onion stalks finely cut
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 4 tbsp creamy goat cheese (optional)
- Cook the Arborio rice in the Instapot or on the stovetop with 4 cups vegetable broth until cooked al dente. Set aside.
- In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil and add leeks, peppers, artichokes, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until the veggies are tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked Arborio rice, remainder of the 2 cups of broth, and thyme. Stir together and cook for a couple of minutes until the broth get incorporated into the rice. Add the fresh parsley and green onions and mix-in. Risotto is ready if you want to keep it vegan skip the cheese.
- To make a cheesy risotto add the goat cheese and Parmesan cheese and mix-in. Serve warm with garnish of parsley and Parmesan cheese.