Sometimes you just want a good old-fashioned simple poundcake. You know what I mean? Something sweet, dense, and moist to have with a cup of tea or coffee. That’s what I was craving when I made this vanilla poundcake with orange syrup. Vanilla poundcake with simple syrup is an easy and quick sweet treat that you can whip up in minutes.
Poundcake is not easy to make and I was in a lazy mood to make one, so instead of baking a poundcake I just bought one from the grocery store. But it needed a little jazzing up. To give it that extra pizzazz I made a simple syrup to pour over the cake. And since oranges are still in abundance I flavored the syrup with an orange infusion that included fresh orange juice, orange zest and orange liqueur. Moist and delicious, the syrup transforms a regular poundcake into something extra special. Give it a try!
Vanilla Poundcake with Orange Simple Syrup
makes enough syrup for 2 small pound cakes
- Purchase 2 pound cakes from the local grocery store.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur (you can skip this if you want to keep it alcohol free)
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- Place the pound cake in a platter and cut into pieces. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat place the sugar and water and keep stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Keep stirring until little bubbles form and you get a slightly thick syrup.
- Add orange liqueur, orange juice and orange zest and stir in. Turn the stove off.
- Pour the warm syrup over the pound cakes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.