This is for all you bread lovers! Remember Oprah Winfrey’s famous words “I love bread!” She set the diet world on fire! Lets face it we all love bread! It’s really more about how much of it and what type of bread we consume that matters. Whole grain breads are hands down the best, but once in a while its so satisfying to have a decadent fresh baked white bread. And that bread tastes even better when baked with delicious sharp cheddar cheese and spicy jalapeño.
This easy cheddar jalapeño bread recipe is from Tasty and was made by my eldest daughter this week. She explained that the recipe had gotten overwhelming positive feedback with everyone commenting on how easy this recipe is to make and how delicious the end result is. So she promptly stopped by the grocery store and picked up all the ingredients and made it a couple days ago. Not only was it fun to watch her make the bread, it was beyond delicious to eat it too!! Dutch Oven Cheddar Jalapeño Bread on Tasty
Soft fluffy bread with the feel goodness of cheddar cheese and a spicy kick from the jalapeño, this bread is so delicious, your family may finish the entire loaf the same day its baked!
For those moments when you want to let all the cares of the world slip away and just enjoy a delicious piece of bread with butter and all, this cheddar jalapeño bread will surely satisfy anyone’s bread craving.
Dutch-Oven Cheddar Jalapeño Bread
by Dutch Oven Cheddar Jalapeno Bread on Tasty.
for 8 servings
- 3 ½ cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 jalapeñoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into rings, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dutch oven with lid
- large bowl, combine the bread flour, 2 cups (200 g) of cheddar cheese, the chopped jalapeños, and salt. Stir well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Pour the flour mixture on top of the water and use a silicone spatula to stir until the dough comes together.
- With the spatula, fold the dough around the edges of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl each time and folding a total of 8 times. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for 60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
- Using the spatula, fold the dough toward the center again 8 more times. Cover with the towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the Dutch oven and lid to the oven, and preheat to 450˚F (230˚C) for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and your hands. Carefully peel the dough out of the bowl and onto the floured surface. Flip over and carefully brush away excess flour. Fold the edges of the dough towards the center 8 times, then flip over the dough and transfer to a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil, so the cheese will stick. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (50 g) of cheese on top. Use a sharp knife to score the bread with an “X”, which will allow steam to escape. Arrange the jalapeño rings on top of the cheese.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and use the parchment to lift the bread into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for 20 more minutes, until the bread is golden brown.
- Carefully slide the bread out of the pot and onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper and let the bread cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice the bread and serve as desired.
For an instructional video of the recipe take a look at this link Dutch Oven Cheddar Jalapeno Bread on Tasty.
Here is a look at how our bread turned out.
Mix all the yeast and bread ingredients and let the dough rest.
Gently knead and get ready to transfer to a dutch oven pot.
Cover the pot and bake for 20 minutes. Then continue baking without the lid.
Here is the final product!
We made grilled cheese and had it with tomato soup.
More delicious bread recipes