Looking for an easy way to turn simple store-bought ravioli into a gourmet restaurant style pasta? Try jazzing them up with a variety of sautéed vegetables all presented in a way that gets a “Wow that looks so good” type of reaction. I made these spinach ravioli for my twins birthday party last weekend and rather than do my usual marinara sauce I wanted to give these ravioli a more sophisticated presentation. To accomplish this I sautéed a variety of spring-inspired veggies such as peas, broccolini, and green onions and tossed in briny olives and sun-dried tomatoes. And since I was making this for a party I placed the ravioli in layers on a casserole dish and topped each layer with the veggies and Parmesan cheese. These raviolis were a huge hit at the party and were enjoyed by all!
This is how easy these gourmet style ravioli are to prepare. Just pick up a package of fresh ravioli, any stuffing of your choice. I used spinach and ricotta ravioli. Then while you are boiling the ravioli according to the package directions, in another pan sauté garlic and a few chili flakes, add in the broccoli and peas and cook until the veggies are tender. Next add in the sundried tomatoes and olives. That’s it for the veggies. Then all you do is start layering the ravioli and veggies in a casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. How easy is that? Not only do you get a beautiful presented pasta, it tastes awesome too.
Jazzed up Ravioli with Sautéed Vegetables
makes 4-5 servings
- 1 package of store bought ravioli
- 1 bunch broccolini stems cut into small pieces and florets kept intact
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 3-4 green onion stems finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chili flakes (optional)
- 1 cup milk (optional)
Cook’s Notes: Since I was making my ravioli for a party I layered them in a casserole dish with a little milk at the bottom to keep the ravioli moist, but if you are just serving them for the family, all you have to do is place ravioli on individual plates and top with the veggies and a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Boil ravioli according to package directions about 5 minutes.
- While the ravioli is cooking, make the veggies. In pan heat 2 tbsp oil and sauté garlic until the aroma is released. Add chili flakes if using. Then add all the broccolini and peas. Cook together until the veggies are tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the olives, sundried tomatoes and salt to taste and stir in. Turn the stove off.
- Get ready to assemble the dish. Pour the milk at the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer the first set of ravioli. Evenly spread some of the veggie mixture on top. Sprinkle with green onions and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a light dusting of salt. Layer the second set of ravioli, and spread some more veggies, green onions and Parmesan and a light dusting of salt. Do this until all the ingredients are used up.
- Cover and keep in the oven until ready to serve. To warm the dish place in the microwave for 5 minutes before serving.
With all the veggies, ricotta cheese and pasta, this makes for a fabulous one-pot meal. No salad needed, nor a starch, a glass of wine will make for the perfect accompaniment🍷.
Buon Appetito 🍷!