I made this zucchini curry with mushrooms and paneer with a third of a giant zucchini I received from my friend Karen. This zucchini was huge and I had to come up with some creative ways to use this crudités.
My first dish was an Indian curry. I was having some friends over for dinner and a fresh zucchini curry with mushrooms and paneer seemed like a perfect dish to make for the occasion.
A third of this giant zucchini came out to over six cups of cut zucchini – can you believe it? In this curry I used paneer because the kids really like paneer, but you can substitute tofu instead of paneer, or even just leave it out of this dish completely. The recipe will make 8-10 generous servings. Feel free to cut this recipe down.
Zucchini Curry with Mushrooms & Paneer
makes 8-10 servings
- 6 cups chopped zucchini
- 6 cups cut mushrooms
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro – 10-12 sprigs
- 1 inch ginger root
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- In a mini food processor make a garlic, ginger and cilantro pesto. Set aside.
- In a pan sauté paneer cubes in 1 tbsp oil to slightly brown the paneer. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2-3 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and fry in oil for a few seconds for the cumin aroma to come through. Add the garlic, ginger cilantro pesto along with chopped onions and sauté in oil for 10 minutes until onions are translucent and slightly browned.
- Add all the spices and mix into the onions.
- Next add zucchini, mushrooms, salt and cook covered for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender – about 10-15 minutes. If you want a more sauce like curry add 2 cups water and continue cooking. For a drier curry cook the vegetables without water.
- Once the vegetables are tender add the paneer and stir in, cover the pot and cook for additional 5 minutes. Curry is ready.
- Top with cilantro. Serve with chapati or rice.
Cooks Notes: If you want to turn this dish into an Asian inspired curry, just add a cup or two coconut milk and turn this zucchini curry into a creamy coconut zucchini curry.