Looking for creative way to use up summer zucchini? Here is an Indian curry dish made with lots of zucchini and paneer.
About the recipe
I made this zucchini curry with mushrooms and paneer with a third of a giant zucchini I received from my neighbor Karen. This zucchini was huge and I had to come up with some creative ways to use this crudités.
My first dish was an Indian curry. A third of this giant zucchini came out to over six cups of cut zucchini – can you believe it? I was having some friends over for dinner and a fresh zucchini curry with mushrooms and paneer seemed like a perfect dish to make for the occasion.
In this curry I used paneer because the kids really like paneer, but you can substitute with tofu instead, or even just leave it out. The recipe will make 8-10 generous servings. Feel free to cut this recipe down.
With the usual array of Indian spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric and garam masala, it’s going to taste like your favorite Indian curry but made with zucchini. Give it a try!
Zucchini Curry with Mushrooms & Paneer
makes 8-10 servings
- 6 cups chopped zucchini
- 6 cups cut mushrooms
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro – 10-12 sprigs
- 1 inch ginger root
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- In a mini food processor make a garlic, ginger and cilantro pesto. Set aside.
- In a pan sauté paneer cubes in 1 tbsp oil to slightly brown the paneer. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2-3 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and fry in oil for a few seconds for the cumin aroma to come through. Add the garlic, ginger cilantro pesto along with chopped onions and sauté in oil for 10 minutes until onions are translucent and slightly browned.
- Add all the spices and mix into the onions.
- Next add zucchini, mushrooms, salt and cook covered for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender – about 10-15 minutes. If you want a more sauce like curry add 2 cups water and continue cooking. For a drier curry cook the vegetables without water.
- Once the vegetables are tender add the paneer and stir in, cover the pot and cook for additional 5 minutes. Curry is ready.
- Top with cilantro. Serve with chapati or rice.