This is a teacake recipe that I came up with inspired by the giant zucchini our friend Karen dropped off from her garden. I had already made a Zucchini Curry and a Zucchini Soup with this giant squash. The next dish had to be something sweet and a teacake seemed like the perfect treat for this super tender zucchini.
About the recipe
When I came up with this teacake recipe I was trying to replicate a zucchini loaf bread I used to have at Peets Coffee & Tea years ago. It was super moist, not too sweet, with some lovely sweet spices, and a few walnuts. I used to admire the delicate green specks of zucchini that always caught my eye when I would take a bite.
In my recipe in addition to fresh zucchini I added fresh ginger which makes this teacake even moister and gives the cake a wonderful fresh ginger flavor. I have to admit, this teacake turned out pretty awesome! My daughter Anjali said this would make the perfect tea cake on a cool rainy day – though I made the cake in the summer, it will taste great at any time of the year. Here is the recipe for Zucchini Tea Cake with Fresh Ginger and Allspice.
Zucchini Tea Cake with Fresh Ginger and Allspice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp allspice OR 1 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter, plus about 1 tsp softened butter for pan
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded zucchini. Be sure to let the shredded zucchini sit for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger. Use a mini food processor to make the ginger paste.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8-inch square pan, line bottom with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper and flour it, tapping excess out.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together granulated sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup canola oil, eggs, vanilla, and fresh ginger.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture until well blended.
- Squeeze the water out of the grated zucchini.
- Add grated zucchini to the cake batter and chopped walnuts if using and mix-in.
- Pour the cake batter in the buttered pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely for 1 -1 1/2 hours. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.
Cook’s Notes: This teacake is not too sweet however it has the right balance of sugar and spice to go nicely with a warm cup of tea or coffee ☕️🍰.
9 thoughts on “Zucchini Teacake with Fresh Ginger & Allspice”
Cake looks delicious. Will try sometime.
Maybe we can grow zucchini’s as big as my friend Karen’s to use in this cake!
It is looking very delicious.
Thanks! I hope you give it a try.
Looks delicious! Adding ginger is a superb idea. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Stella. I am loving fresh ginger lately in all my sweets and cakes. It really adds a nice spicy kick and it’s so good for you too.
Looks super soft & spongy!
It really is a very moist cake. Make sure to squeeze out as much water out of the squash as you can, I made this cake once and didnt squeeze enough water from the zucchini, and the cake turned out pretty dense and not so delicious. Enjoy! Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
Thanks for the tips! Will try surely!