This is a variation of stuffed peppers that I like to make with a frozen vegetable mix called Southwest Blend. This frozen veggie mix is really good, it has bell peppers, black beans, corn, poblano peppers, and roasted onions. With this combination of veggies you really don’t need to chop a whole lot of veggies. I took my cue for the seasoning for the stuffed peppers from the Southwest mix which has a Mexican slant to them.
Stuffed Peppers with Mexican Spiced Veggies & Black Beans:
This recipe makes 6 whole stuffed peppers or 12 halved stuff peppers.
- 6 large peppers
- 1 bag frozen Southwest blend veggies.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 bag baby spinach finely chopped if you want more veggies. About 2 cups chopped.
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Red chili flakes to taste
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook quinoa and set aside.
- Wash and cut the peppers in half. Take out the seeds and hollow out the peppers. Rub the skin with olive oil. Oil a large baking sheet and place the peppers skin side down on the baking sheet.
- Microwave the frozen veggies so they are completely thawed. In a large bowl place the cooked quinoa, add the thawed veggie mix, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, drained black beans, chopped onions, garlic and mix together. Add cheese and mix-in. Stuffing is ready.
- Scoop spoonfuls of veggie mix into the halved peppers until the peppers are stuffed full. Top with more cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in oven covered at 375 degrees for 30- 45 minutes. If you like the peppers plump and juicy you can take it out in 30 minutes. If you want the peppers to be tender, soft and caramelized, then cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Serve with salsa and a side salad.