This recipe is my all time favorite fall squash recipe. It’s this roasted butternut squash & red onion soup.
Butternut squash soup with caramelized flavor
This soup is just so delicious that it’s my favorite butternut squash soup. I like how the squash and red onions caramelize in the oven when roasted which gives the entire soup a lovely brown sugary sweet flavor.
It’s an easy recipe with stupendous results. Just roast butternut squash and red onions until tender and slightly browned. Take out of the oven and place in a stock pot, add in garlic, broth and bring to a boil. Then blend into a creamy soup. It’s that simple.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Onion Soup:
- 1 lb cut butternut squash
- 1 medium red onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup milk or 1/4 cream (optional)
- 5-6 cups broth or water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the butternut squash, chopped onions and garlic cloves on a cookie sheet and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together and spread on the cookie sheet. Place in oven and cook for 30-45 minutes until the squash is cooked through and tender. Toss around half way through to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Once the butternut squash is tender take out of oven. At this point the vegetables are done. You can serve this as a side dish if you like.
- In a pot add the roasted vegetables, brown sugar, and 4-5 cups vegetable broth or waterand cook for 5 minutes until all the soup comes to a slow boil.
- Take the soup off the stove and puree with a hand blender. Place the pan back on the stove and add 1 cup whole milk or 1/2 cup cream if you want. Mix into the soup over low heat.
- Cook’s Notes: If you prefer your soup chunky, you can skip the blending process and just add cream and serve. This will make a soup that has chunks of sweet butternut squash and caramelized onions in a creamy broth. You can also choose to skip the cream completely and serve the soup in it’s own broth as well.
- Serve warm with extra black pepper.
4 thoughts on “Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Onion Soup”
Always a favorite! Thanks for sharing your version of this very versatile soup! Will have to try this version soon!
Let me know how you like it.
I love butternut squash soup! This looks very delicious. Will make it soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Very easy to make and tastes amazing. I am sure your family will love it.