This mushroom dish is a perfect dinner option on a cool evening. It tastes wonderful over hot steaming rice, quinoa or couscous. I used shredded paneer cheese in this mushroom curry, but you could easily substitute paneer with shredded chicken or any meat of your choice.
Mushroom Curry with Shredded Paneer Cheese
makes 4 servings
- 4 cups finely chopped mushrooms. About 2 cartons.
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded paneer or any meat of your choice
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Toast cumin seeds until aroma is released about 30 sec.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, and chili powder and sauté until spices are incorporated.
- Now add chopped mushrooms, shredded paneer and salt, and mix together.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes. Stir and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve hot with rice, quinoa, couscous or chapati.
Cook’s Notes: This recipe is easy to adjust to your liking. You can add more paneer cheese or more meat, along with extra mushrooms. Because mushrooms have their own distinct aroma and flavor, you can skip the spices all together if you choose.