Raw fennel and kale that are both chewy and crunchy work perfectly together in this salad, while apples add the right amount of sweetness. But the real nice surprise in this salad was Dubliner cheese.
About the recipe
I had this awesome kale salad when I went over to my friend Devi’s for lunch to celebrate her birthday a while back. Our friend Rose joined us too and we had a delicious and healthy fall-inspired lunch and Rose brought this wonderful kale salad with fennel and apples.
Little cubes of Dubliner cheese gave the salad an unexpected flavor that is perfect. You can probably use any other similar cheese like good aged white cheddar, Gouda or Parmesan. Here is the recipe.
Kale, Fennel & Apple Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
recipe courtesy of Rose
- 1 bunch of kale
- Dubliner cheese cut into small cubes – 1/2 cup
- 1 apple cut into small chunks
- 1/2 fennel bulb cut into thin slices
- Slivered almonds
- Ingredients for Honey Mustard Dressing:
- Honey 2 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard or any grainy mustard 1 tsp
- White wine vinegar -4 tbsp
- Olive oil 1/8 cup or 4 tbsp
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Make the Honey Mustard dressing and set aside. Recipe to follow.
- Cut kale into small pieces and lightly sprinkle with salt. “Massage” salt into the leaves to soften the leaves and make them slightly tender. Set aside.
- When ready to serve salad, in a large bowl place the apples, sliced fennel, Dubliner cheese, and kale leaves.
- Add desired honey mustard dressing and toss.
- Top with almonds and serve.
Birthday Lunch at Devi’s