These are perfect appetizer bites to take to a party or serve at your next gathering. Kale, feta and potatoes are the main ingredients here and they turn a humble pita into something delicious.
About the recipe
I took this appetizer to our friends Dave and Rose’s Hanukkah party recently that got many nods of approval. I wanted to make an appetizer with greens that wouldn’t release too much water that way when I stuffed them into a tortilla or lavash bread the bread didn’t get soggy. Kale seemed like a good option and just in case my greens got a little too moist I added potatoes to the mix for some heft and mushrooms for extra flavor.
Good looking kale!
I have to mention that I picked up the most good-looking kale bunch at our local grocery store. Gorgeous dark green in color, super fresh, with the most beautiful purple veining. The label said red kale but to me it looked like a stunning purple kale. Just beautiful! I wish I were an artist 🎨, because I would have just forgotten about cooking and started painting this green beauty. It was one good looking kale!
Kale and Feta Lavash Rolls
- 2 bunches of kale finely cut
- 1lb mushrooms cut into medium sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium onion finely cut
- 4 yukon gold potatoes thinly cut
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Red chili flakes as much as you want (optional)
- Feta cheese crumbles as much as you want
- 1 package lavash rolls – about 5 sheets
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Place the potatoes, mushroom and onions on a baking sheet and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the mushrooms have released their juices and their water has evaporated.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Toast chili flakes and garlic for a couple of seconds. Add the kale leaves and sauté until slightly wilted – do not overcook the kale. You want the kale to be slightly “fluffy” so that it doesn’t release too much water. Turn the stove off and set aside.
- Add the cooked potato and mushroom mixture to the kale and toss together. Add the feta cheese and mix together. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Place the kale mixture in the lavash bread and roll into a burrito. Cut into bite size pieces and plate.
- Serve with a side of Siracha, hot sauce, or salsa.