With loads of vegetables seasoned with herbs, curry powder, coconut milk and lemongrass, this butternut squash recipe makes a giant pot of a stew like curry. Lots of vegetables such as butternut squash, green bell peppers, eggplant, broccoli, green peas, and potatoes make this curry a delicious veggie-packed dish. Add tofu or chicken and turn the dish into a complete one-pot meal and serve it over steaming fluffy white rice for a delicious dinner. Even better, just have it as a big bowl of stew.
Lemongrass Infused Vegetable Curry
- 1 lb cut butternut squash or about 4 cups
- 4 cups cut broccoli florets
- 2 cups green peas
- 4 small bell peppers cut into small pieces or 1 large bell pepper
- 1 Japanese eggplant cut into small chunks
- 1-2 Yukon gold potato cut into small cubes
- 1 green chili for some heat (optional)
- 4-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger or ginger paste
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 4-5 lemongrass leaves or 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 3-6 Thai basil leaves
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 dried red chilies (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk or 1 15oz can
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp finely cut cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot heat 3-4 tbsp oil. Add garlic and green chili and sauté until aroma of garlic is released about 10 seconds. Add lemongrass, ginger, curry powder and red chilies if using and mix in oil for a few seconds. Next add all the vegetables and toss all ingredients together. Add 2 -3 cups water and salt. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- To the cooked vegetables add fresh mint, Thai basil, brown sugar and coconut milk and mix-in. in. At this point you can add tofu or cooked chicken if using. Cook through for additional 5 minutes. Turn the stove off.
- Add lemon juice and stir-in. Lemongrass Curry is ready. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro and fresh mint leaves.
Happy Lunar New Year!