This is a light and spongy cake with the lovely flavors of orange and cardamom. The cake itself is not too sweet, however if you want to make it sweeter you could drizzle some simple powdered sugar and lemon icing. This recipe makes a large generous cake perfect for a get together with a family or two.
Zucchini Orange Cardamom Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, freshly grated. Make sure to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Mix together 1 cup powdered sugar with juice of 1/2 lemon – about 3-4 tbsp. Drizzle over finished cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 13 x 9″ rectangular cake pan. Place parchment paper at bottom of pan; butter the paper and dust with sugar.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, almond meal and cardamom powder and mix-in.
- In another bowl mix together sugar, oil, butter, vanilla, sour cream, orange zest and orange juice until creamy and well blended.
- Next add the shredded zucchini and mix-in.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix all ingredients together.
- Pour cake batter in the cake pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a rack for 30 min – 1 hour before taking it out of the pan.
- Cut into squares and serve with powdered sugar or lemon icing.