This recipe makes a large generous cake and uses a generous amount of zucchini. You know we are swimming in garden zucchini right now. This is a perfect recipe to use up a couple of zucchinis or three. Its light and spongy with the lovely flavors of orange and cardamom. Give it a try!
Zucchini Orange Cardamom Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, freshly grated. Make sure to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Mix together 1 cup powdered sugar with juice of 1/2 lemon – about 3-4 tbsp. Drizzle over finished cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 13 x 9″ rectangular cake pan. Place parchment paper at bottom of pan; butter the paper and dust with sugar.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, almond meal and cardamom powder and mix-in.
- In another bowl mix together sugar, oil, butter, vanilla, sour cream, orange zest and orange juice until creamy and well blended.
- Next add the shredded zucchini and mix-in.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and mix all ingredients together.
- Pour cake batter in the cake pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a rack for 30 min – 1 hour before taking it out of the pan.
- Cut into squares and serve with powdered sugar or lemon icing.