Looking for a totally original, delicious, and healthy appetizer to serve at your next dinner gathering? This appetizer is the most creative and delicious appetizer I have had in a while – spicy homemade mint chutney spread on pita bread and then topped with roasted Brussels sprouts. It’s so unique and delicious.
My friend Shalini served this appetizer when I went over to her place for lunch a while back and I couldn’t get enough of it. Shalini is such an amazing cook, and everything she makes is positively scrumptious. The best part of her cooking is that all her dishes rank high on flavor AND healthy scale. This appetizer is one of those appetizers you won’t feel guilty eating a lot of. Give it a try!
Mint Chutney on Pita Bread with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
recipe courtesy of Shalini
- Pita bread cut into small pieces
- 2-3 cups cut Brussels sprouts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
Ingredients for Mint Chutney
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 green chili seeds removed if you want it less spicy
- 1 tbsp almonds, cashews or walnuts – finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Cook’s Notes: As an alternative to mint chutney try making this appetizer with store bought pesto.
- Make the mint chutney: In a food processor make a pesto like paste with mint, cilantro, green chili, and nuts. Add a little water to make it easy to blend. In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté garlic until fragrance is released. Add mint paste and coriander powder to the garlic and cook mint chutney for 2-3 minutes. Turn the stove off. Add lemon juice and stir in. Mint chutney is ready.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts: In a baking sheet toss Brussels sprouts with 2 tbsp oil and salt and pepper. Roast in a 425-degree oven for 15-20 minutes until Brussel sprouts are charred.
- Serve the appetizer: Spread mint chutney on pita bread and serve with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts. For those who like the tang of cheese serve with a side of feta cheese.