My daughter Anjali made this refreshing mixed berry julep for our Father’s Day dinner last Sunday that was deliciously summer. With loads of fresh berries, lots of mint leaves, sugar and fresh lemon all muddled together to bring out the berry juices; and then mixed with chilled ginger ale – oh my gosh just listing all the ingredients makes my mouth water 😋! I have to ask Anjali to make it again!
Seriosly folks, this is a beautiful drink to make! All the vibrant colors of the berries, lemon and mint look positively gorgeous getting you happy even while making this berry drink.
Julep for those of you who are wondering is a sweetened drink made with sugar, fruits and herbs, and sometimes a splash of alcohol. Mint julep is the drink that many are familiar with which is very popular in the Southern United States.
Want to turn this delicious non alcoholic julep into a sangria? Just substitute the ginger ale for white or red wine of your choice. Whether you make it alcoholic or non alcoholic, no matter in which direction you take it, this is one happy summertime drink.
Mixed Berry Julep
makes about 6-8 glasses non alcoholic drinks
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup cut strawberries
- 2 small lemons cut into circles
- 10 mint leaves washed
- Honey or sugar (about 5 tsp)
- Ginger ale
- In a bowl add all the berries, sugar, mint leaves and lemon slices.
- “Muddle” all the berries so they get mashed and release their juices. The easiest way to do this is to use a fork to mash the berries or use clean hands to crush the berries.
- Place the fruit mixture in a large pitcher. Add about 6 to 8 cups of ginger ale and stir. Taste and add more sugar or honey if you would like it sweeter.
- Serve along with the fruit and garnish with lemon slice and mint leaf .
Cheers to Summer 🍹🍓☀️!