Last weekend I was invited to my friend Nishma’s home for a pre-Diwali dinner and for the party I was requested to bring my cardamom apple almond crumble. It was the perfect time to make this dessert as I had a bunch of garden apples from my friend Devi waiting to be consumed. This time though I made a slight change to my recipe, when I went to the store to pick up all the ingredients I noticed in the baking isle Bob’s Red Mill Hazelnut Meal. I grabbed a bag and made the apple crumble with a mix of hazelnut meal, almond flour and oats. It turned out awesome! Interesting observation that one of my kids made with the hazelnut addition is that this nut flour binds much better than almond meal, almost the same consistency as flour. This is one decadent healthyish dessert packed with good for you oats, nuts, fruit and spices with the sweetness of brown sugar. Give it a try!
Cinnamon Spiced Hazelnut Apple Almond Crumble
makes a large crumble of 8 servings
- 12-14 small apples chopped. About 4-5 cups.
- Raisins. As much as you want
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 stick Butter about 6 tbsp melted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread 1 tbsp butter in a baking pan and set aside. I used an approximately 13×7 inch pan.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples and place them in a bowl of lemon water so they don’t turn brown. Add the raisins to the apples so they plump up.
- Get ready to make the crumble topping. In a mixing bowl mix together dry ingredients. Almond meal, oats, flour, cinnamon, cardamom, hazelnut meal, and 1-cup brown sugar. Add the melted stick of butter and mix so it forms a coarse meal.
- Get ready to make the apple mixture. Drain the water from the apples. To the apples add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 cup brown sugar and mix.
- Assemble the apple crumble. In the buttered baking pan pour the apple mixture. Spread the dry mixture over the apples and press down so the dry mix can get into the apples as they cook. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, take the wrap off. The crumble should be all bubbly at the edges. Very lightly stir the topping so that it gets into the apples mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the apple crumble is bubbly and golden brown. Take out of oven and let it a cool bit before serving.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Happy Sweet Eating 😋🍎!!