In the springtime around here farmer’s markets bring out some uniquely springtime produce such as tender garlic. These garlic actually look like small pale pink onions. The flavor of spring garlic is like a cross between garlic and green onions. The first time I saw these I had no idea they were garlic. The farm stand vendor explained that sometimes they pull garlic bulbs out in the spring to sell, that if they left them in the ground they eventually become our regular garlic bulbs that we usually use. I know, interesting right! Here’s the other interesting tidbit, tender spring garlic are only available in the spring and that too for a month at the most.
I like to use spring garlic in pastas and risotto mainly because these dishes seem to show off the tender garlic flavor the best. In this recipe I made a vegetarian risotto with spring garlic and asparagus – two quintessential spring-time veggies. So I could appreciate the delicate flavors of these veggies, I kept the recipe simple with just salt and pepper and a little white wine. White wine adds a splash of tang that is refreshing. Make sure to use good wine that you would enjoy drinking 😊🥂. Here is a recipe for a delicious springtime risotto made with spring garlic and asparagus.
Spring Garlic and Asparagus Risotto
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Spring garlic – about 1 1/2 cups finely cut or use 5 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 cups cut asparagus tips and tender stalk finely cut
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cup creamy goat cheese (optional)
- In the Instapot on the rice setting cook 2 cups arborio rice with 4 cups broth. Once cooked, set aside. Or cook the rice on the stovetop.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the spring garlic and sauté until tender about 2-3 minutes. If using regular garlic just fry for a few seconds until the garlic aroma comes through. Next add the asparagus, salt and pepper and cook the asparagus until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked arborio rice plus 1 cup of broth, 1-cup water and 1/2 cup of white wine. Mix together and cook the risotto for about 3-5 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Add the creamy goat cheese and mix-in. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Risotto is ready! Serve risotto warm topped with sprinkle of black pepper.