This simple and easy potato and green pea curry is a classic Indian dish and very popular in many Indian homes. On days when you want a mildly spiced Indian dish that will warm the body and the psyche, this is the one make.
The curry is saucy and mildly spiced so if you want it can even be had as a warm bowl of stew. The sauce is made up of fresh tomatoes that get cooked with onions and spices, then the potatoes and green peas are added and cooked together. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end adds some tang and then it’s topped with plenty of fresh cilantro. Usually served with chapatis or puris (fried whole wheat chapatis) this veggie curry makes for a deliciously comforting meal.
Pea Potato Curry
makes 4-6 servings
recipe contributed by Swati
- 1 lb bag frozen peas – about 2 cups
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes cut into small chunks – about 4 cups
- 2 large tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion finely cut
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil and toast mustard seeds until they pop. Then add cumin seeds and brown for a few seconds. Next add the asafetida, onions and ginger and sauté until onions are tender about 2 minutes.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and chili powder. Mix spices into the onions. Add the chopped tomatoes and and cook for 2 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
- Next add potatoes, frozen peas, 3 cups water, and salt to taste. Stir together then over the pot and cook vegetables for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked turn the stove off. Add juice of 1 lemon and garnish with fresh cilantro. Potato Pea Curry is ready.
- Serve potato pea curry with naan, chapati, puris or tortillas.
Cook’s Notes: To make some quick puris purchase tortillas at the grocery store and deep fry them in oil until they puff up. Drain any excess oil and serve with potato pea curry.
7 thoughts on “Potato Pea Curry”
Yum <3 simple and good!
Looks very yummy!
This looks so good, I’m sure I’ll give this one a try! I might have trouble finding the asafetida powder, but when I make my weekly trek to the co-op, I’ll give it a try.
I am excited to hear how you like it! BTW you dont have to use asafetida, its more of my addition – its good for the digestive system and adds a unique fragrance, but this curry can easily be made with out it!
Good to know! Thanks.
Easy enough and we do like Indian food. In fact, I have some garlic naan in the freezer that will be perfect with it.
Awesome! Can’t wait to hear how you liked it!!