It’s cherry blossom season, and I know it’s hard to get out there and enjoy nature’s annual show right now, but in leu of an actual visit how about celebrating it with a delicious cake? With cherries no less!! I found this recipe called cherry almond pound cake from blogger Jenny Steffens on Instagram. and she described this pound cake as an ode to a cupcake she had in Washington DC during their cherry blossom festival where at Sprinkles in Georgetown she had a cherry cupcake. She says she liked the cup cake so much that immediately after returning home she made a similar cake with cherries and almond favoring. Though Jenny calls her cake cherry almond pound cake, I renamed it Cherry Blossom Pound Cake. Well it does have cherries. And it is cherry blossom season, so why not?
As its springtime and fresh cherries are not in season just yet, this cake instead uses tart dried cherries. These dried cherries are so good in the cake folks! They add a lovely tart/sweet favor and they actually become soft when baked.
What I like about Jenny’s recipe is that for a poundcake it uses way less butter and eggs than your typical pound cake recipe. Just 1 stick of butter and only 2 eggs.
Cook’s Notes: There are a few modifications I made to Jenny’s recipe. Instead of adding an entire 1 cup of dried cherries which seemed like a lot, I added half cup of dried cherries and 1/2 cup of soft candied ginger. These two flavors work so awesome together! I also added vanilla. And lastly, I didn’t bother with a glaze because honestly glaze can be too sweet and takes away from the fabulous flavors of this wonderful cake. Instead I made a simple syrup and drizzled on top to add a bit of extra moistness.
BTW if you have an instagram account I highly recommend following Jenny Steffens as she has the most beautiful and sophisticated cottage style home and posts these soothing feel-good images of her baked goods and tips for entertaining.
And now here you go in honor of spring blossoms everywhere here is the recipe for cherry blossom pound cake made with dried cherries and candied ginger.
Cherry Blossom Pound Cake
recipe from Jenny Steffens.blogspot
with a few modifications
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of tart dried cherries
- 1/2 cup soft candied ginger finely chopped
- For honey simple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- Boil together until honey dissolves.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In another separate bowl, combine milk and extract.
- Add half of the wet ingredients to the butter sugar mixture, mix for 5 seconds, then add half of the dry and mix for 5 seconds. Repeat with second half, ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold in dried cherries and candied ginger Line the bottom of pan with parchment paper and butter and flour the pan. Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean.
- If using simple syrup, pour the syrup while the cake is warm. Then cool completely before serving.
I’d like to end this recipe with a few pics from a trip we made last year to Central California to view spring blossoms on almond trees and stone fruit trees.
Be safe, stay healthy, wash your hands often, and continue to practice social distancing.💕.