Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas:
This recipe makes 12 medium enchiladas
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bag Birds Eye Southwest Blend frozen veggie mix
- 4 cups baby spinach or kale blend
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or any Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 tbsp Taco seasoning
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 12 medium size soft corn tortillas. In the pictures I used white corn tortillas. But I like yellow corn tortillas the best, they add a nice flavor to the enchiladas that white corn tortillas don’t. If you use yellow corn tortillas, they tend to be smaller and come in packs of 10. For this recipe you can use 2 packs of 10 yellow corn tortillas for a total of 20 small enchiladas. The rest of the instructions are the same.
- 1 can 28oz green chili enchilada sauce
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl thaw the frozen vegetables in the microwave for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, salt and pepper and mix in.
- Now add the chopped onions and crushed garlic and mix.
- Add 4 cups chopped spinach and black beans and mix.
- Now add the 2 cups of cheese and mix in.
Prep the baking dishes:
- Drizzle olive oil in baking dish and evenly spread on the dish.
- Add 3-4 ladles full of enchilada sauce at the bottom of the pan.
Assemble the enchiladas:
- Place the corn tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute until soft and pliable.
- Place enchilada stuffing in the center of tortilla and roll.
- Place the rolled enchilada in the baking pan.
- Pour more enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake in oven at 375 for 30 -45 minutes or until the enchiladas are bubbly and hot.
You can also make a sour cream sauce for the enchiladas: This recipe will be enough for 6 enchiladas.
Sour cream Sauce:
- Place 1 cup sour cream in a bowl
- Add salt and pepper
- Add 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- Add 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Add some chopped chives
- Mix all ingredients together and put dollops over the enchiladas over the green sauce
- Sprinkle shredded cheese, paprika and black pepper
- Cover the baking dish and bake for 30 -45 minutes in oven until the enchiladas are bubbly and hot
These enchiladas taste best when they have a chance to settle and sit for 30 minutes or longer after they come out of the oven. Serve with a side salad or avocado salad.