This is an awesome soup that is refreshing, flavorful, super healthy, and very light. Artichokes give this soup a distinct flavor that comes through, and spinach adds some substance and colour. All you need is herbs such as thyme and oregano and a squeeze of lemon juice, and this soup will transport you to the Mediterranean. Here is the recipe.
Artichoke & Spinach Soup
makes 4-6 servings
- 1 bag 16oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 bag 12oz frozen artichoke hearts or 2 cups artichoke hearts
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 carton vegetable broth (4-5 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot warm 2 tbsp olive oil and add crushed garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add frozen spinach, frozen artichokes, salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano, plus 1 cup water. Stir and cook covered for 10 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Now add carton of broth or 5 cups broth and warm though on high heat, about 5 minutes. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon. Soup is ready. Serve with extra lemon wedge.
Cook’s Notes: If you want to make this light soup more filling, add 1 cup cooked chickpeas to the soup and heat through. For an eclectic and light Sunday dinner option serve this delicious soup with warm Feta Cheese Bruschetta and a salad.