I make lots of salads but I would never think to combine a citrus flavor such as orange with blue cheese – it wouldn’t be a combination that would occur to me. When I think of bleu cheese I tend to use the likes of apples and pears. Surprisingly though the combination of orange and bleu cheese along with pomegranate seeds and the peppery bite of arugula tastes really good together in a salad.
This combination of pomegranate fruit, orange and bleu cheese salad is a recipe that was shared by our friend Alicia at a holiday lunch.
With a fruity white balsamic dressing, this salad was refreshing as it was pungent from the blue cheese – all somehow complimenting each other wonderfully and deliciously good together. Here is the recipe.
Pomegranate Orange Salad with Bleu Cheese & White Balsamic Dressing.
Recipe contributed by Alicia
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bag arugula or wild rocket leaves plus 1 bag baby spinach. About 2 cups each.
- 2 tangerines or 1 navel orange. Peeled, seeded and skin removed, use just fleshy wedges.
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp crumbled bleu cheese
- Ingredients for dressing: White Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
- 4 tbsp Pomegranate white balsamic vinegar or any white wine balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Make dressing and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together arugula and baby spinach with oranges, pomegranate seeds and dressing.
- Top with bleu cheese and lightly mix the salad.
- Serve immediately.