I bought some gorgeous amber colored honey from a local home beekeeper recently. This lady has a large garden with flowers and lavender bushes and she raises honeybees for honey which she harvests and sells through word of mouth. All proceeds form the honey sales are donated to our local Second Harvest Food Bank in San Jose. She doesn’t even want the checks written in her name, she just wants all payments made directly to the food bank. I bought six bottles from her – I mean what a winning combination – proceeds from local honey sales that go directly to a local food bank – win/win!
Around the same time I also picked up a fresh batch of lemons from my friend Basanthi’s garden – she had picked the lemons right in front of me and that lovely smell of freshly picked lemons – OMG it sure was divine.
To use these two wonderful ingredients – fresh-picked lemons and gorgeous amber colored honey, I made a lemon honey cake. For an extra bit of flavor and moistness I added some fresh ginger and the result was a delicious lemon honey ginger pound cake.
makes 2 pound cakes
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick), plus about 1 tsp softened butter for pans
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup soft crystallized ginger finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch poundcake pans. Butter the pans, and line bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper and dust with sugar, tapping excess out.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl whip together sugar, softened butter, sour cream, lemon juice, eggs, and vanilla. Whip until creamy.
- Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture until well incorporated. Add fresh ginger, lemon zest, and crystallized ginger and mix-in.
- Pour the cake batter into the 2 baking pans and bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once cake is done, let the cake cool for 30min – 1 hour.
- Dust with powdered sugar and decorate with edible pansy blossoms before serving.
When life gives you lemons and honey, make sweet lemon honey pound cake 😋🍋🍰