When I made this beet salad the only takers were Hitesh and me (I made it which means I had to try it). Rani our salad kid tried it too, and I have to say we absolutely loved it! The sweetness of beets with a garlicky flavor combined with sour vinaigrette and topped with creamy goat cheese – yummy this salad was – and thats’ coming from a person whose least favorite veggie is beets. What makes this beet salad taste so good is the addition of garlic when roasting the veggies and the vinaigrette to marinate the veggies. Marinating the roasted beets in the vinaigrette mellows out the beet flavor while also adding a nice tang to the beets. Marinated beets can be served as a side dish or simply add baby spinach to make a leafy green Roasted Beets and Baby Spinach Salad. Seriously folks, except for Hitesh our entire family hates beets – actually hate is a strong word – we don’t like beets. So for all of us to clean this beet salad out completely and not leave anything behind, you know it was delicious! Give it a try!
Roasted Beets and Baby Spinach Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette & Goat Cheese
makes 4-6 servings
- 2 golden beets and 2 red beets
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2-3 cloves crushed garlic
- Olive oil
- Goat cheese as much as you want (optional)
- Ingredients for Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot finely chopped or a small onion finely chopped (4 tbsp)
- 4 tbsp vinegar any variety
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper
- Make shallot vinaigrette and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Peel beets and cut beets into thin slices. This helps to roast the beets faster.
- In a baking sheet place the beets and garlic and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes until the beets are tend but not completely soft. Take out of oven and let it cool.
- Once the beets are room temperature toss with shallot vinaigrette. Set-aside.
- When ready to serve salad, toss baby spinach with marinated beets and garnish with goat cheese (if using). Serve right away.