Chocolate chips cookies – the all-American cookie is a favorite cookie of many a kid and adult alike. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, with sweet chocolate chips, all melted in a cookie. This is one feel-good sweet treat. There are so many recipes out there for chocolate chip cookies that one can find countless recipes for the ultimate chocolate-chip cookie in cookbooks and online, and they are all great recipes – how can you go wrong with sugar, butter, chocolate, and dough?. Here is one more chocolate-chip cookie recipe to add to your chocolate-chip cookie recipe library.
This recipe comes from my eldest daughter Sri via her pre-school teacher Devi Teacher. When Sri was interning as a teaching assistant with Devi during her high school years she came across this chocolate chip cookie that Devi would bake every Friday with the help of the kids at her pre-school. If the kids were good all week, they got to help her make these chocolate chip cookies 🍪👼.
This recipe actually came in an old-fashioned newsletter – the kind that we used to get mailed to us before the days of the Internet. Sri described how she found this recipe in a folded newsletter that was mailed to Devi’s daycare – it had tips and projects for preschool teachers and included a few kid-friendly recipes. One of the recipes was this chocolate chip cookie. Every time they made them, these cookies tasted amazing. They were so good that Sri wrote the recipe down and has been making them ever since, for over a decade now!
Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 2 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 12 oz or 2 cups dark chocolate chips ( one modification; Sri substituted semisweet chocolate chips with dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together both sugars and butter until creamy. Add the egg and incorporate.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the butter mixture.
- Next add dark chocolate chips and fold into the dough.
- Place spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Take out of oven and cool for 10 minutes as the cookies will be very hot and will continue to cook while cooling down.
- Serve warm chocolate chip cookies with a cold glass of milk for the ultimate all-American sweet experience 😋🍪!
“When we think of classic American desserts, we tend to imagine apple pie and ice cream. However, the most classic American dessert of all might be the chocolate chip cookie.”
Homaru Canto chocolate chip cookies