Mattar Paneer is a North Indian vegetable dish made with green peas and paneer in a spiced tomato gravy. I had a delicious Mattar Paneer at my friend Pallavi’s home one evening, and asked her for the recipe.
recipe courtesy of Pallavi
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen peas.
- You can also add 1 cup chopped carrots and 1 cup green beans (optional)
- 1 block paneer cheese cut into cubes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4-6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder (optional)
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Toss chopped onions in 2 tbsp oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes -1 hour until onions are caramelized. Take out of oven and let it cool. In a blender, blend the caramelized onions to form a thick onion sauce/paste. Set aside.
- In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder and fry in oil for 3-4 seconds. Add paneer and sauté until slightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the ginger and garlic and lightly sauté. Add the caramelized onion paste, coriander powder and garam masala, peas, canned tomatoes, and salt to taste. At this point if you are using carrots, beans and other vegetables go ahead and add it and cook them along with the peas. Cook for 15 minutes until peas and vegetables are tender. Turn the stove off.
- Add the paneer and juice of 1 lemon and mix-in. Mattar Paneer is ready. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
Cook’s Notes: Once you get this recipe down, you can add carrots, potatoes, green beans, and zucchini in addition to the peas. Serve mattar paneer with a side of rice, quinoa, chapatis or naan.