I have been craving pumpkin spice cake lately even though it’s not Fall. Maybe it’s the Indian summer we had in the peak of winter in February, or maybe it’s because our cool rainy winter temperatures are back in March – just like in Autumn when our temperatures fluctuate from warm to cold, and back to warm and cold. Whatever the reason maybe, one doesn’t need a fresh pumpkin to make pumpkin spice cake, a can of pumpkin flesh will do just fine. On a cold rainy afternoon a pumpkin spice cake with a hot cup of tea ☕️🍰 is the perfect feel good treat 😋.
The recipe I chose to make my pumpkin spice cake is from epicurious.com Pumpkin Spice Cake with Buttermilk Icing. This recipe was easy to follow and the pumpkin cake turned out awesome 👌. Super moist with the lovely fragrance of pumpkin and spices, this is a scrumptiously delicious cake 😋.
A couple of modifications I made to this recipe which turned out great are using almond meal along with all-purpose flour, substituting sour cream for buttermilk, and topping the cake off with a simple lemon icing instead of buttermilk icing. Below is my modified ingredients list.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 10-inch nonstick bundt pan (3 quart)
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing bundt pan
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting pan
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15-ounce can; not pie filling)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- For icing. Mix these two ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For complete cake instructions here is the link to the original recipe Pumpkin Spice Cake with Buttermilk Icing on epicurious.com.
If you’re craving fall in winter like I am, this pumpkin spice cake will fit the bill perfectly 👌. Serve the cake with a cup of coffee for the perfect winter-time afternoon pick-me-up 🍰☕️.