I got this recipe when I was watching my favorite Food Network show Barefoot Contessa with Ina Garten. She was making brunch dishes and this hazelnut granola was one of the items featured. All it had was nuts, honey, oats and oil. That’s it. When was the last time you saw a granola recipe that had so few ingredients and was so easy to make that all you do is combine and bake? I had to try and make this granola right away. Here is the original recipe on Food Network’s web site. Ina Garten’s Roasted Hazelnut Granola
I found the original recipe to be a little on the bland side. So I made a couple of modifications to the recipe to give it some extra flavor. I added 1 tsp powdered cardamom and extra honey. I also added almonds as I had some at hand. The recipe below has these changes. This is the perfect granola to have as a quick afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
Roasted Hazelnut Granola:
From Barefoot Contessa Food Network Show
with a few of my own modifications
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp powdered cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl toss together hazelnuts, cashews, oatmeal, almonds, and cardamom powder.
- Add honey and oil and mix together until they are completely combined.
- Pour onto a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a metal spatula until the mixture turns an even golden brown.
- Remove granola from oven and scrape the pan with a spatula to loosen the granola.
- Allow granola to cool, stirring once. Granola is ready to have with milk, yogurt or as a snack.