Looking for a delicious rice dish loaded with good for you super greens such as spinach and Swiss chard? Look no more. Here is a rice pilaf that is positively scrumptious that you’ll be having bowls full.
About the recipe
Made with over 10 cups of super greens – that’s 6 cups of spinach and 4 -5 cups of Swiss chard – over 10 cups of super greens in this rice dish! The recipe couldn’t be any easier – toast a few spices with shredded coconut, sauté super greens with onions, and combine them all with fluffy rice. Simple, easy, and delicious. Give it a try!
I picked up this spinach rice recipe from my friend Veena who brought it for a lunch I hosted couple weeks ago. Veena made her rice pilaf with home grown greens from her vegetable garden🌿🌿🌱! Naturally this rice pilaf tasted extra special.
Flavored with toasted spices and onions, and garnished with roasted peanuts Veena’s spinach and Swiss chard pilaf was the perfect main course for a variety of side accompaniments.
Lunch with friends.
Friends Shalini, Padmini and her parents joined us too and we had a delicious vegetarian meal with everyone contributing to our lunch menu.
Table is set for a scrumptious meal.
Sitting down for a gourmet vegetarian lunch.
On the Menu:
Creamy Squash Soup – me
Spinach and Swiss Chard Rice – Veena
Cauliflower curry – me
Paneer and Pepper Curry – Padmini
Eggplant Yogurt Raita – Shalini
Fresh fruit and tea – me
Jam bars and madeilines – home made by friends Rose and Karen
Flowers for the flower lover 💐
Friends gifted the most beautiful flowers, home grown veggie seedlings and plants. They know me well! I can never have too many flowers or plants 😀💐🌷🌹🌿🌻🌸!
Here is a recipe for a delicious and healthy spinach and Swiss chard rice loaded with good for you super greens, courtesy of my friend Veena.
Spinach and Swiss Chard Rice
recipe contributed by Veena
- 1 cup Basmati rice cooked until fluffy. Set aside to cool.
- 1 bunch spinach finely cut – about 6 cups cut spinach
- 1 bunch Swiss chard finely cut – about 4 to 5 cups
- 1 large onion finely cut
- 1 small lemon
- Roasted peanuts. As much as you want. (Optional)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 to 3 dried red chilies
- 2 cloves
- 3 – 4 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 5-6 curry leaves or mint leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Make the spice mix: Dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilies, cloves and cinnamon for about 3-5 minutes until they are toasted. Add the shredded coconut and curry leaves or mint leaves and toast the coconut until slightly golden about 2 – 3 minutes. Turn the stove off and let the spice mix cool.
- Grind the spice mix in a spice mill into a coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat 2 tbsp oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them pop. Once they stop popping add 1 tsp asafetida powder and chopped onion. Sauté onion until translucent about 3 minutes. Next add all the cut greens and cook the greens until the raw flavor is gone and they are wilted – about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and spice blend. Add salt to taste. Mix everything together until all the greens and spices are evenly distributed in the rice. Taste and adjust for salt if needed.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro and squeeze of lemon juice and mix-in. Top with roasted peanuts and serve at room temperature with a side of yogurt raita.
4 thoughts on “Spinach and Swiss Chard Rice”
Reblogged this on Crackling Pork Rinds.
Love those greens in rice will try soon 👍
Thanks. I would love to know how you liked the recipe.