Pasta with fragrant dried herbs and a variety of vegetables is perfect comfort food on a cool fall-afternoon. Fresh herbs from my garden are what I reach for when making pasta but on this Sunday afternoon it was my daughter Sri who was making lunch and rather than take the few extra steps into the garden for fresh herbs she just reached into my pantry for my homegrown dried herbs. I have to say I was surprised how different dried herbs taste from fresh herbs. I would even say that dried herbs have a stronger flavor profile giving pasta a real kick of herb fragrance. In this oreccheitti pasta Sri used veggies that I had at hand which happened to be asparagus, mushrooms, and tomatoes. With a pinch of chili flakes and lots of garlic, this pasta tastes amazing with fragrant dried herbs and fresh vegetables 😋.
Oreccheitti Pasta with Dried Herbs & Vegetables
recipe contributed by Sri
- 1 lb orecheti pasta or rigatoni or something similar cooked according to package directions.
- 4 cups cut asparagus
- 4 cups cut mushrooms
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 4-6 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp basil fresh or dried
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter or preferably truffle butter
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp olive oil and fry garlic for a few seconds to bring out the garlic fragrance. Add the chili flakes and all the asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook vegetables until tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Next add dried herbs and truffle butter and melt into the veggies. Add cooked pasta and mix in.
- Cook pasta and veggies together for about 2 more minutes. Pasta is ready. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Serve pasta with Parmesan cheese or a few sprinkle of dried herbs.